Single Plates 240 on, 4 panes of 6x10
Key & Duty plates of 120on 2 panes of 60, with 60on duty plate. The duty plate was doubled in Feb 1896 except for the 1/- which was not printed again.
The doubled plate of the 5d was only printed on federation papers
Although the true beginnings of DLR plates obviously began in 1871, it's real impact did not occur until after 1890. A quarter of a century after they took over from Perkins Bacon. Those recess steel plates were build to last.
Until the replacement of the PB recess denominations in 1890, the only chance for DLR to create their own plates were whenever a new denomination was required.
This only happened twice between 1863 and 1890: a newly required 3d value in 1871, and a ½d value in 1885 for 'printed matter' (postcards and newspapers).
What is remarkable, is that even after all this time, the only changes of any consequence were jubilee lines surrounding subsequent denominations , the lack of wing margined perforations and the introduction for some values of key & duty plates (which did not substantially alter the panes of 60 layout)
Only the ½d and 5d from this initial series were used for printing after federation. See the w Crown A issues for this inexplicable 2nd series.
Paper and watermark
From 1877 watermarks are invariably WEST. And so only for the 3d, and rarely, is CC AUST discovered.
Only the 3d used the CC wmk (as well as CA)
The change to machine made paper rolls occurred in 1870 prior to the 3d plate. Consequently both CC and CA watermarks are in 4 panes of 6x10 subjects. (handmade cc paper was in a single pane).
Unlike it's PB cousins which were a single pane of 240 or 120, the CC/CA wmk actually fitted the center of each stamp because that's what surface printed DLR plates were designed for.
All are comb perforated 14.
However, prior to 1879, perforation was done by Somerset House. It is only after that date that DLR took over. And it is that singularity that gives rise to the unique wing margins on most printings of CC wmk 3d. DLR would not tolerate such a difference. It had long since disappeared when the next plate, the ½d, was produced in 1884.